Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Understanding

Understanding

To understand is to have an adequate idea of something; to know or to perceive. It is having the same idea that another is communicating. I understand what the speaker is saying or what I am reading. To understand is to grasp the meaning of something. It gives me reason to believe. If I have understanding I have discernment, comprehension or interpretation of something. When I encounter something that is new I think about it and with my mind try to comprehend it so as to understand it. God has provided all that we need, to know and to understand Him. He has also made it clear so that we can understand that apart from Him we are just lost sinners. We are to incline our heart to understanding; an understanding that comes from the Lord.

My Prayer

O Lord my God, you are great and abundant in strength and infinite in understanding. Lord, as I seek you, open my mind to understand your word and make known to me the mystery of your will. Give me light and understanding by revealing your word to me and help me keep it with all my heart. Lord, I pray that I may learn your commandments and obey them; that I may know your testimonies and be encouraged by them; that I may live according to Thy word and find true meaning in life. Father, make my ear attentive to wisdom and incline my heart to understanding that I may meditate on Thy wonders and be awed and inspired by them. Lord, I know that my heart is deceitful and not to be trusted. May I trust in you with all my heart and lean not on my own understanding. Open my mind that I may understand you more deeply and completely.

Related Verses

“Our Lord is great and has awesome power; there is no limit to his wisdom” (Psalm 147:5 ESV).

“It is he who made the earth by his power, who established the world by his wisdom, and by his understanding stretched out the heavens” (Jeremiah 10:12 ESV).

“Think over what I say, for the Lord will give you understanding in everything” (2 Timothy 2:7 ESV).

“Make your ear attentive to wisdom, Incline your heart to understanding” (Proverbs 2:2 NASB).

“Then he opened their minds so they could understand the scriptures” (Luke 24:45 NET).

“The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it” (Jeremiah 17:9 ESV)?

“The wisdom of the prudent is to discern his way” (Proverbs 14:8a ESV).

“Evil people do not understand justice, but those who seek the Lord understand it all” (Proverbs 28:5 NET).

“You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord, “and my servant whom I have chosen, that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor shall there be any after me” (Isaiah 43:10 ESV).

“Your instructions are a doorway through which light shines. They give insight to the untrained” (Psalms 119:130 NET).

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding” (Proverbs 3:5 NET).

No comments:

Post a Comment