Thursday, February 19, 2015

Contentment

Contentment

Contentment is a disposition of the mind that allows one to be satisfied in any circumstance and as a result be free of envy and anxiety. Being satisfied holds the mind in peace, restraining complaint, opposition or further desire. It is a trait that can be acquired through a relationship with God because through His grace He will provide for all of our needs, such as food and covering. When godliness is accompanied by contentment it results in gaining much in life to the glory of God.

My Prayer

Father, thank you that your grace is sufficient, to meet all of my needs. Through this marvelous grace, help me learn to be content in whatever circumstance I find myself in. If it is a condition of weakness then I will experience your power being perfected in me. If I find myself with humble means, suffering need or going hungry, I know that you are there with me and will take care of me. If I live in prosperity help me learn the secret of being a joyful, generous giver. Help me never forget all that you have done for me. I am a sinner saved by your grace, washed by your blood, clothed with your righteousness, filled with your love and joy, illuminated by the light of your glory and comforted with your peace. Lord, how can I not be content even if all I have is simply food and covering? Lord, I know that I will find contentment only within you, not in the things of the world. Help me to never forget the great value of godliness and contentment working together, producing a life of peace and satisfaction.

Related Verses

“I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content in any circumstance. I have experienced times of need and times of abundance. In any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of contentment, whether I go satisfied or hungry, have plenty or nothing” (Philippians 4:11 – 12 NET).

“And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work” (2 Corinthians 9:8 ESV).

“But godliness with contentment is great gain . . . But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content” (1 Timothy 6:6, 8 ESV).

“Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, ‘I will never leave you nor forsake you’” (Hebrews 13:5 ESV).

“Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble” (Matthew 6:25, 33, 34 ESV).

“But he said to me, “My grace is enough for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” So then, I will boast most gladly about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may reside in me. Therefore I am content with weaknesses, with insults, with troubles, with persecutions and difficulties for the sake of Christ, for whenever I am weak, then I am strong” (2 Corinthians 12:9 – 10 NET).

No comments:

Post a Comment