Thursday, February 26, 2015

The Word

Lesson #4

 “1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was fully God. 2 The Word was with God in the beginning. 3 All things were created by him, and apart from him not one thing was created that has been created.” (John 1:1 – 3 NET).

Why did John call Jesus “the Word”? Consider the following verses. “Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life” (John 14:6a). “For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world—to bear witness to the truth” (John 18:37). “So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, ‘If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples’” (John 8:31). “If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask . . .” (John 15:7).

Jesus said he was the truth and came to bear witness of the truth. The works he did was a witness of that truth. A true disciple abides in his word, but that disciple is to also abide in him. The words Jesus spoke and the life he lived provide us with knowledge of and an understanding of God. As you study the Gospel of John you find that Jesus and the Word are inseparable. They are the same and so John begins his gospel by calling Jesus the Word. This relationship is further enforced in Hebrews 1:1 – 2 where God tells us that he spoke to us by his Son. In Revelation 19:13 we read, “He [Jesus] is clothed in a robe dipped in blood, and the name by which he is called is The Word of God” (Revelation 19:13). Jesus is the “Word”, the eternal God who is the source of absolute truth.

Prayer

Father, how awesome it is to grow in relationship to Jesus Christ. The freedom one gains by learning about him and becoming more like him in relationship with him. As the source of truth your words to me are true. As the source of life you gave me life. As the source of light you removed my darkness. As the source of love you are overcoming anger and resentment in me, allowing me to love those who are unlovable. As God, my Lord, my savior and my redeemer, you provide meaning and purpose to my life. For this I give thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment