Friday, February 13, 2015

Compassion

Compassion

Compassion is a sympathetic feeling that is excited by the distress or misfortunes of another and is expressed as mercy and seen as loving-kindness. A person may be in a state of suffering and need, and while they may be unworthy or ill-deserving of help, love is expressed through a kindness given to lessen the suffering and meet the need. We were suffering and dying because of our sin and the Lord who is gracious and compassionate, abounding in loving-kindness, being rich in mercy sent His only Son to die on the cross so that we might live. To those who are willing to accept his great kindness, under his conditions, He extends grace in the form of eternal life. Just as God felt compassion for us He instructs us to develop a heart of compassion and respond to the needs of those around us.

My Prayer

Father, I thank you and praise you that you are a God that is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abundant in loving-kindness and truth. Thank you for your feeling of compassion and your hand of mercy when you saw me in my need, distressed and downcast. I was poor and in need and because of your great love for me you saved me. You were gracious and compassionate toward me and you chose me and sent me out into the world to produce much fruit for your glory. Father, strengthen me to be obedient and to serve you from my heart. Create in me a clean and compassionate heart; one that is kind, gentle, humble, patient, tender and easily moved by the distresses, sufferings, wants and infirmities of others. A heart that is able to suffer and experience sorrow, because of the distresses or misfortunes of another; a heart of true loving-kindness.

Related Verses

“For he says to Moses, ‘I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion’” (Romans 9:15 ESV).

“Remember your compassionate and faithful deeds, O Lord, for you have always acted in this manner” (Psalm 25:6 NET).

“He will take pity on the poor and needy; the lives of the needy he will save” (Psalm 72:13 NET).
“As a father shows compassion to his children, so the Lord shows compassion to those who fear him” (Psalm 103:13 ESV).

“He does amazing things that will be remembered; the Lord is merciful and compassionate” (Psalm 111:4 NET).

“The Lord is merciful and compassionate; he is patient and demonstrates great loyal love” (Psalm 145:8 NET).

“Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience” (Colossians 3:12 ESV).

“When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them because they were bewildered and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd” (Matthew 9:36 NET).

“Finally, all of you be harmonious, sympathetic, affectionate, compassionate, and humble” (1 Peter 3:8 NET).

No comments:

Post a Comment