Monday, February 16, 2015

Humility

Humility

When we stand before God Almighty and see how holy and righteous He is and review the glory of His works, we realize how insignificant we are in comparison. When we realize that we are nothing but a lost sinner apart from Him and accept it we enter the state of humility. Humility is that state or quality of being humble. It is freedom from pride or arrogance. It is that feeling that we have no merit in the sight of God. It is to honor others rather than self. Humility is a condition of the soul that prepares it for faith.

My Prayer

Lord, I come to you to learn from you, because you are gentle and humble in heart. Father, I find it is so easy for pride to enter into my heart. Please forgive me and teach me to be gentle and humble so that I can enjoy your grace. Lord, please cultivate within me the ability to show true humility to all, that I would regard others as more important than myself. Help me put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience so that I may touch the heart of someone for Christ Jesus today. O, Lord my God, I pray that I may do justice, love kindness and walk humbly with you. I pray that I will serve you with all humility and that I will humble myself under your mighty hand so that I might experience your grace at work in my life.

Related Verses

“But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble” (James 4:6 ESV).

“In the same way, you who are younger, be subject to the elders. And all of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble. And God will exalt you in due time, if you humble yourselves under his mighty hand” (1 Peter 5:5 – 6 NET).

“Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted” (Matthew 23:12 ESV).

“Though the Lord is exalted, he takes note of the lowly, and recognizes the proud from far away” (Psalm 138:6 NET).

“He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God” (Micah 6:8 ESV)?

“Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth” (Matthew 5:5 ESV).

“Instead of being motivated by selfish ambition or vanity, each of you should, in humility, be moved to treat one another as more important than yourself. Each of you should be concerned not only about your own interests, but about the interests of others as well” (Philippians 2:3 – 4 NET).

“Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with a heart of mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience, bearing with one another and forgiving one another, if someone happens to have a complaint against anyone else. Just as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also forgive others” (Colossians 3:12 – 13 NET).

“I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love” ( ESV).

No comments:

Post a Comment