Monday, March 9, 2015

Who Am I

Lesson #13

The next section includes John 1:19 – 28 and covers the testimony of John the Baptist. There are two thoughts we will look at in this section. In this lesson we will consider the position of John in relation to Jesus. In the next lesson we will acquire more information about Jesus.

The Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask John who he was (v19). John confessed, “I am not the Christ” (v20). Not satisfied they asked him, “What then? Are you Elijah?” He said, “I am not.” “Are you the Prophet?” And he answered, “No.” (v21). Still not satisfied they said to him, “Who are you?” and “What do you say about yourself? (v22). John replied, “I am the voice of one crying out in the wilderness, ‘Make straight the way of the Lord,’ as the prophet Isaiah said” (v23). If you are simply a voice crying out in the wilderness “Then why are you baptizing?” they asked (v25). John answered, “I baptize with water, but among you stands one you do not know, even he who comes after me, the strap of whose sandal I am not worthy to untie” (1:26 – 27).

The Jews wanted to determine if John was someone important; maybe even the Christ the coming Messiah. But John was not ashamed to say that he was just a voice of one crying out in the wilderness, pointing to someone else who is so much more important. So important that John felt he wasn’t even qualified as a servant to untie his sandals. John draws no importance to himself and points others to the central figure of history, the Word incarnate in flesh as Jesus. John sets an example for us as Christians that we are to see ourselves for what Jesus has done for us and point others to him. Don’t think that the job of a witness is not important. Jesus said, “I tell you, among those born of women none is greater than John. Yet the one who is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he” (Luke 7:28 ESV).

Prayer

Father, how difficult it is to develop the humble posture of John the Baptist. Father, you know the world puts a great premium in being proud, in drawing attention to ones accomplishments. Thank you for teaching me the importance of being humble and meek. I know you are not finished with me yet, but I am enjoying the peace and joy there is when my focus is on you. Lord, I find great excitement when I turn my life over to you and allow you to use me, to work through me. Humbling myself under your mighty hand and watching you work, I find that I am being lifted up in the sight of others because of the work you are doing in and through me. Lord, I know you are at work building your kingdom and being part of that work through union with Jesus Christ is so exciting. Thank you for choosing me and causing me to be part of your life and work.

No comments:

Post a Comment