Thursday, March 19, 2015

The Effects of Baptism

Lesson #17

We left the last lesson indicating that the presence of the Spirit in one’s life would have profound effects. Let’s consider four of those effects.

First, from John 6:63 we read, “It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life” (ESV). It is the Spirit that gives us life. Without spiritual life the flesh is unable to understand spiritual things. The disciples could not understand very much of what Jesus was telling them. It was not until after his resurrection and the filling of their lives with the Spirit that they understood and became powerful Christian figures.

Second, from John 7:38 we read, “Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water” (ESV). The Spirit that is given will provide “renewed strength, and [we] will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring that continually produces water” (Isaiah 58:11 NET). Like a well-watered garden that produces nourishing food, our Spirit filled lives are able to nourish others. The words we speak or acts of loving kindness can encourage people through difficult times of life.

Third, from John 15:26 we read, “But when the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will bear witness about me” (ESV). Jesus makes the promise that he would send the Spirit from the Father to dwell in us and instruct us about Jesus and his provision for our lives. He will teach us all things we need to know (q John 2:27).

Fourth, from John 16:13 – 14 we read, “When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you” (NET). We were chosen by the Father and caused to be born again and filled with the Spirit. Being empowered with truth we are to go forth into the world as a source of light from the life of Jesus and search for others chosen by the Father and thus bring glory to the Lord.

Prayer

Father, from preparing these lessons I am overwhelmed with what you are doing. You chose me who was spiritually dead and you caused me to be born again. At that instant life from Jesus came into my life in the form of the Spirit and dispelled the darkness with the light of truth and understanding. Your love for me overwhelms me and now as one filled with what I need to live with you for an eternity, you now nudge me into obedience to search the darkness to find others you have chosen. Father, how can I possibly rest in the comforts of the world when others bound in prisons of darkness desperately need what you have given me to share? Lord, empower me to be willing to give even my life to bring glory to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment