Wednesday, September 14, 2016

The Holy Spirit Declares the Future

Lesson #263

In our last lesson we started John 16:13 and covered the first part of the verse: “When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth”. It was pointed out the importance of context in understanding phrases like “all the truth”. Verse 13 continues with: “for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.” The Holy Spirit does not speak as if prompted by himself, but he shall declare what is communicated to him. This has practical meaning to me; for example, when I write these lessons I pray that I will know the Lord’s mind and heart concerning the verses I am writing about. Jesus communicates this to the Holy Spirit who communicates it to me. Because of my sinful nature, the reception is not always really good, so I tend to miss part of the message. I long for that day when in heaven the reception will be 100%. In the context of this verse the Holy Spirit will inform us of things to come. This could relate to changes that were to take place in the Jewish nation. It could also be that the disciples were inspired to predict future events which would take place in the church and the world.

Some examples are as follows: “And one of them named Agabus stood up and foretold by the Spirit that there would be a great famine over all the world (this took place in the days of Claudius)” (Acts 11:28 ESV); “And coming to us, he took Paul's belt and bound his own feet and hands and said, “Thus says the Holy Spirit, ‘This is how the Jews at Jerusalem will bind the man who owns this belt and deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.’”” (Acts 21:11 ESV); “Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons, through the insincerity of liars whose consciences are seared, who forbid marriage and require abstinence from foods that God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth” (1 Timothy 4:1 – 3 ESV). The whole book of Revelation was delivered to John by the Holy Spirit.

We will end this lesson here and cover verses 14 and 15 in the next lesson.

Prayer

Father, thank you for the presence of the Holy Spirit in my life; for making known to me that I am saved; convicting me of sin; guiding, directing and giving me understanding; encouraging, strengthening and comforting me when needed. He is the presence of God in my life and for that I thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment