Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Does Sorrow Fill Your Heart

Lesson #259

In our last lesson, Jesus made it very clear that he was leaving them and going back to his Father who sent him. It was also pointed out that the disciples probably were still not clear what he really meant by the statement “going to him who sent me”. Jesus then tells them: “But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart” (John 16:6 ESV). The Lord knew this was a difficult time for the disciples as there was so much yet to understand, fear and worry over all this talk about persecution and death has them worried, and the definite departure of Jesus leaving them alone with all the responsibility. In light of this I believe Jesus spoke to them out of tenderness and compassion, rather than in censure. Jesus knew how difficult it was for them to grasp the full meaning and significance of the events that were to unfold before them. It is no different for us today. Time and time again we face situations we don’t understand; times of great loss, or a great setback, or being forced to live in a way that is dangerous and very difficult. There are times when we find our hearts filled with great sorrow and we are not sure the outcome or what we should do.

Jesus says: “Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you” (John 16:7 ESV). In spite of how they feel and how hopeless it all seems, Jesus ensures them that he is telling them the truth, that it is to their advantage that he leave them and return to the Father. How is this to their advantage? Looking at verses like Matthew 20:19, Matthew 26:2, Mark 9:31, Mark 10:33, Luke 9:44, and Luke 18:32, we see that it is absolutely necessary that Jesus die for our salvation and rise again in victory over death. Here, Jesus speaks of the Helper, or Holy Spirit, that will not come to them unless he returns back to the Father.

A great mystery has been hidden through ages past that is about to be revealed, for “To them God chose to make known how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory” (Colossians 1:27 ESV). Jesus stood among them as one person, but when he leaves, the Holy Spirit will come to replace him by entering the lives of all believers. With Jesus God was with them, but when the Holy Spirit comes, God will dwell within each believer, “which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.” This will be a life changing event that they will not understand until Pentecost occurs, but when it does they will go forth with great power to do the Lord’s work. There is much they have yet to experience before they will understand, just as there is much for us to experience before we can understand why some things happen to us or what God is doing in our lives.

Prayer

Father, it was at the end of 2014 that a friend in China called me and asked me about my faith. That call resulted in a series of lessons on the Christian faith, which are found at the beginning of this blog. After doing those it was decided to do a verse by verse study of John, which we are still working on. During this period of study, I find that I have gained a fresh understanding of my relationship with the Trinity. I am learning the importance of prayer, asking Jesus for his mind on the verses being covered, for the Spirit to communicate this to me and for him to draw readers to the lessons to read and then to learn, all to the glory of our Father. This partnership, tied together with prayer, is becoming so much more a reality in other areas of my life and helps me better understand those going through persecution. Father, thank you for how life changing this blog writing has been for me. I pray it is benefiting many readers also. 

No comments:

Post a Comment