Friday, July 17, 2015

Healing the Man at the Pool

Lesson #80

With this lesson we begin chapter 5. We will look at the section defined by John 5:1 – 9. After the time spent with the Samaritans, Jesus went up to Jerusalem to attend the feast of the Jews (John 5:1). “Now there is in Jerusalem by the Sheep Gate a pool called Bethzatha in Aramaic, which has five covered walkways” (John 5:2 NET). Here at this pool is the next divine appointment for Jesus. As I prepare these lessons and see Jesus going from place to place to encounter people I can’t help but think of how this works in my life. I felt strongly led to go to China and over an eight year period I had the opportunity of teaching Bible in churches and a seminary and had conversations with many Chinese students about the Christian faith. I also think of his leading to go to Tajikistan, India and Mongolia to learn about different cultures. I think of the VOM conference that the Lord used to touch my life and various online courses. I believe that Jesus is setting an example for us to be in tune with God to be where he wants us to be, doing the work he has assigned to us to do. For many this may be our next door neighbor or a person God brings across our path.

Lying in those walkways was a great number of sick, blind, lame, and paralyzed people (John 5:3) “[waiting for the moving of the waters; 4 for an angel of the Lord went down at certain seasons into the pool and stirred up the water; whoever then first, after the stirring up of the water, stepped in was made well from whatever disease with which he was afflicted.]” (John 5:3b – 4 NASB). The text in brackets is not found in the original manuscripts and seems to have been added at a later time to give clearer meaning to what follows. Some translations, like NASB, put the text in brackets and others, like ESV include it as a footnote.

“Now a man was there who had been disabled for thirty-eight years. When Jesus saw him lying there and when he realized that the man had been disabled a long time already, he said to him, “Do you want to become well?”” (John 5:5 – 6 NET). How do you think you would answer if you were the person Jesus was speaking to? Would you respond with, “Yes Lord; please make me well” or would you complain as the man did saying, “Sir, I have no one to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up. While I am trying to get into the water, someone else goes down there before me” (John 5:7 NET). How would you feel if you were offering someone what they wanted for 38 years and they responded with a complaint instead of accepting the offer with gratitude? “In everything give thanks” (1 Thessalonians 5:18 NJKV), which leaves no room for complaint.

In spite of this ungrateful response, “Jesus said to him, “Stand up! Pick up your mat and walk.”” (John 5:8 NET). This man was healed, not because he asked to be healed, but because Jesus choose to go to this man and heal him. I am convinced that in the same manner, God chooses who he is going to save and to those he chooses will respond as did this man; “Immediately the man was healed, and he picked up his mat and started walking. (Now that day was a Sabbath.)” (John 5:9 NET). When the Father causes us to be born again, we start walking in our new life and that day becomes the beginning of our Sabbath as we learn in Hebrews chapter 4.

Because Jesus healed this man on the Sabbath a problem is created and will be considered in the next lesson.

Prayer

Father, thank you for choosing me for salvation and causing me to be born again. Father, I pray that I will be more effective in making the most of the divine appointments you set up for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment