Monday, December 19, 2016

What Have I Done Wrong?

Lesson #303

We ended the last lesson with Jesus saying: “Why do you ask me? Ask those who have heard me what I said to them; they know what I said.” For nearly three years Jesus has suffered from the abuse of the Jews and now just hours away from the cross they are trying to trap him into saying something they can use as a charge against him, but there is nothing to find because he is without sin. Jesus knows the magnitude of suffering that waits him and is probably tired of this petty questioning and as a result his response to them might have had a touch of sharpness in his voice because, “When he had said these things, one of the officers standing by struck Jesus with his hand, saying, “Is that how you answer the high priest?”” (John 18:22 ESV). This response on the part of the officer is another indication that this is not going to be a fair trial. No one has the right to touch a prisoner before being condemned and without an order to do so. If what Jesus said had been an offence against Annas the high priest and if Annas had given orders to strike him, then a blow to the face was the customary punishment (Acts 23:2). A decision had been made to send Jesus to the cross and the only way that was going to happen was on made up charges. This is a very common technique in countries of persecution of Christians who are arrested on false charges and on the basis of these charges they are forced to bear severe treatment, even death in many cases.

After being struck, “Jesus answered him, “If what I said is wrong, bear witness about the wrong; but if what I said is right, why do you strike me?”” (John 18:23 ESV). Jesus is implying that they need to produce the evidence which the law requires, but they can’t because there is no such evidence.

Unable to precede any further, “Annas then sent him bound to Caiaphas the high priest” (John 18:24 ESV). There is a difference of opinion about what really happened here. I am going to accept what John wrote. It appears to me that Jesus was at the house of Annas during the above questioning and mistreatment. Now Jesus is being moved across the courtyard from the house of Annas to the house of Caiaphas, also serving as the high priest. Moving Jesus across the courtyard sets the stage for Peter’s second and third denials, which we will cover in the next lesson.

Prayer

Father, as I mentioned in the lesson, I am reminded of my brothers and sisters living in countries of persecution who are being treated as Jesus was. They also are being arrested and mistreated simply because they identify with Jesus as Christians. Jesus suffered and died to purchase our salvation and now these children of yours are suffering and dying in the process of being your witness. Father, I pray for these that they would be encouraged to know that their sacrifice honors you, Jesus, and their families. I pray for their endurance that they will be able to press on to the end. I pray for their steadfastness that they would not deny Jesus and turn from their faith, for they have a great reward waiting them in heaven. Father, have mercy on them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment