Friday, December 16, 2016

Looking for a False Charge

Lesson #302

Peter has denied Jesus once so far and is now with others near the fire. At this point there is a change of scene and John takes us inside the house of Annas to see what is happening to Jesus. “The high priest then questioned Jesus about his disciples and his teaching” (John 18:19 ESV). The high priest who was asking the questions was probably Annas because in verse 24 we read about Annas sending Jesus to Caiaphas. At this point the questioning is very general and focused on his disciples and his teaching. They probably wanted to know how big a following he had and what was being taught to them. Maybe they wanted to know about his authority to gather disciples, teaching them a new doctrine, and forming a different sect, but that is simply speculation. Since they haven’t charged him yet, they are probably hoping he would say something that would help them levy a charge against him.

To this inquiry, “Jesus answered him, “I have spoken openly to the world. I have always taught in synagogues and in the temple, where all Jews come together. I have said nothing in secret”” (John 18:20 ESV). Jesus doesn’t answer their questions distinctly, but makes it clear that he did not do or say anything in secret but openly to the world, in synagogues and in the temple where all Jews come together. There is nothing hidden that they shouldn’t already know about. During my time of Bible teaching in China, I had become good friends with a police officer and some of his police friends. Their advice to me was to do nothing in secret that would surprise them. At times I was followed and kept track of, but when I had time and the opportunity I helped their children speak better English. It was clear to them that I met no harm and they did not bother my teaching, but I was careful because I knew that things could change overnight and that I could face charges.

Jesus continues his answer: “Why do you ask me? Ask those who have heard me what I said to them; they know what I said” (John 18:21 ESV). Jesus knows they have no legitimate case against him and in a way he reproves the high priest of trying to extort a confession from him. If he had done anything wrong or taught any false doctrine, all he had to do was to ask those who listened to Jesus to find out what he said. These words of Jesus were probably said with some sternness because it causes one of the officers to react with some physical and verbal violence, as we will see in our next lesson.

Prayer

Father, what is happening to Jesus reminds me of my brothers and sisters who live in countries of persecution where those who feel threatened by the presence of Christians and their lifestyle, bring violence against them to reduce their threat by some form of repression, even death. During my time teaching in the illegal schools in China, I had opportunities to talk with some of these people and learned from them. Father, I know we in the western church need to learn more about this because one day we are going to wake up and find we have lost our safety and security and with it will go our comfort. Father, as the sin of our nation has grown so great that its wages of death will take its toll on us through increased evil and spiritual darkness. Father, please have mercy on us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment