Monday, February 8, 2016

I Must Bring Then Also

Lesson #168

With this lesson we continue with the fourth section of chapter 10, defined by John 10:11 – 18. We will continue our study of verse 16, looking at the second of four parts. The first part was “I have other sheep” and the second part is “I must bring them in”. We saw in the last lesson that these other sheep are those chosen by the Father that are yet to be found and be born again. The “must” of this statement is critical; it is of divine necessity because their names are in the book of life, the Father has chosen them, and Jesus has laid down his life for them. Therefore, not one of them can be overlooked. Everyone has to be found! So, how does Jesus bring them into the flock?

We find the answer in verse 3: “To him the gatekeeper opens. The sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out” (John 10:3 ESV). How does that work today? The Father sent Jesus to be a witness and “Just as the Father has sent me, I also send you” (John 20:21 NET). So how is his voice heard as we are sent out? Jesus said, “I am not praying only on their behalf, but also on behalf of those who believe in me through their testimony” (John 17:20 NET). Jesus calls through prayer and we witness to those he is calling. Can you see the importance of our prayer to know who he is calling so we can be at the right place at the right time for an effective witness?

The third part of verse 16 is, “They will listen to my voice.” If Jesus calls and the sheep hear him, then is there a need for our witness? Yes, as we have seen above, there sure is! But there is more. Jesus commands us to “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation” (Mark16:15 ESV); to “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you” (Matthew 28:19 – 20a ESV). It is a partnership in which we share the gospel and he calls. It is true that today many Muslims are reporting having dreams and visions in which Jesus calls them, but there is still follow up to the experience with someone sharing the gospel. Once Jesus calls and has “brought out all his own, he goes before them, and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice” (John 10:4 ESV). How do you know you have been called out? You hear his voice and you follow him. If you are not following the Lord Jesus in loving obedience, then you need to question your salvation.

The fourth part of verse 16 is, “So there will be one flock, one shepherd.” Notice the two words “will be”? Some say there are two flocks; Jews and Gentiles and they are to become one. The results of our studies indicate two different flocks; those in the sheepfold and those already called out. As people are born physically, those with names in the book of life will be in the sheepfold, waiting to be found and called out. These are lost sheep waiting to experience being born again. One day when the last person whose name is in the book of life is born again, then there will be just one flock and this flock is forever. We know this because of verses we will study later: “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. I and the Father are one” (John 10:27 – 30 ESV).

Prayer

Father, what a beautiful plan is laid out here. Every person is born in sin and deserves eternal punishment, but you prepared a way through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ to satisfy the demands of justice, allowing you to exercise your sovereignty and show mercy to a chosen group. These you adopted as children into your family, giving the gift of salvation as an act of grace. Father, my salvation is all about you and not about me. The only part I played was to simply accept your offer, which no “lost sheep” is able to resist. I will never forget the night I heard your call. Nothing could have prevented me from accepting Jesus Christ into my life that night. Absolutely nothing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment