Friday, February 19, 2016

Evidence that Jesus Is God

Lesson #173

In John 10:24 the Jews asked Jesus to tell them plainly if he was the Christ. In John 10:30, Jesus made it very plain who he was when he said, “I and the Father are one.” In this lesson we will look at John 10:31 – 33 and the reaction by the Jews to who Jesus said he was.

“The Jews picked up stones again to stone him. Jesus answered them, “I have shown you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you going to stone me?” The Jews answered him, “It is not for a good work that we are going to stone you but for blasphemy, because you, being a man, make yourself God.”” (John 10:31 – 33 ESV).

In verse 30, when Jesus claimed to be one with the Father, it was clear to the Jews that he was claiming to be God. They heard blasphemy because in verse 30 they said, “It is not for a good work that we are going to stone you but for blasphemy, because you, being a man, make yourself God.” When Jesus claimed to be one with the Father, was he really implying that he was God? To be sure that is what Jesus meant, we will list six passages in John that support this.
  1. John 1:1, 14a: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. . .  And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us.” This is very clear that Jesus is God.
  2. John 5:19: “So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of his own accord, but only what he sees the Father doing. For whatever the Father does, that the Son does likewise.” It is impossible for any human to say that he does only what he sees the Father doing.
  3. John 8:58: “Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am”. Jesus has to be more than human to say he existed before Abraham did.
  4.  John 10:18: “No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father.” It is impossible for a human to be able to raise himself from the dead.
  5. John 12:41: “Isaiah said these things because he saw his glory and spoke of him.” John considers the glory of God that Isaiah saw to be the glory of Jesus.
  6.  John 20:28: “Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!”” Jesus accepted the assessment of Thomas as to who he was and also his worship.
From the above verses, we know for sure that Jesus was claiming to be equal with God and for that the Jews were about to kill him. Since Jesus was to die on a cross, not by stoning, he had to again escape from them or somehow defuse the situation. We will see how he does that in our next lesson.

Prayer

Father, thank you for the evidence, given in John, that supports the claim that Jesus is indeed the Son of God, the Messiah. Thank you for the evidence we as believers have by the indwelling Spirit that Jesus is indeed the way and the truth and the life. I long for that day when I will be able to see Jesus, face to face in all his glory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment