Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Are You One of His Sheep?

Lesson #172

We continue with the response Jesus was making to the request made by the gathering about the clarity of what Jesus had been saying about himself. They wanted him to clearly tell them whether he was the Christ or not. We will look at John 10:25 – 30. “Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father's name bear witness about me, but you do not believe because you are not among my sheep”” (John 10:25 – 26 ESV). Jesus has already told them he is the Christ the promised Messiah, but they do not believe. Is there a reason they do not believe; is there a reason why your friend or neighbor does not believe? I believe there is. Those who are children of God, “who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God” (John 1:13 ESV). It is not our will that we believe, but the will of God. “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day” (John 6:44 ESV). No one born physically has the desire or the ability to love and believe what God says concerning salvation. God the Father in his sovereignty, determines who his children will be. We are adopted and he makes the choice as to who will be born again.

Jesus tells them they do not believe because they are not among his sheep. Those whom the Father chooses are lost sheep that we are sent out into the world to find. As we share or preach the word, they will hear and be drawn to Jesus and at the right time the Father will cause them to be born again and Jesus will give them eternal life. These lost sheep, by hearing the word, grow in their understanding, like a baby grows in the womb of its mother. When the time is right, these lost sheep are called out of the sheepfold by Jesus and they follow him in belief and are born again.

Jesus continues by saying, “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand” (John 10:27 – 28 ESV). It is clear from the response of these people that they do not hear with understanding or believe what Jesus is saying and therefore are not his sheep. Notice three important conditions: 1) his sheep hear his voice, 2) Jesus knows them by name, and 3) his sheep follow him. But those who are his sheep he gives eternal life, which has no end. Once you have been given eternal life you will never perish, because if you could then you weren’t given eternal life. There is therefore no possibility of you losing your salvation. There is also no power in the universe that can snatch a sheep out of his hand. He gave his life for us and as a result we are eternally secure with him. Jesus adds more: “My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. I and the Father are one” (John 10:29 – 30 ESV). We are the Father’s children and therefore protected by the power of almighty God. Jesus then draws unity with the Father. Here we see two persons and one God. As you can expect, this will result in a violent reaction on the part of those who are not his sheep.

Prayer

Father, as I study for these lessons, I realize my need for help to live like a member of the family of God. My talk, my thoughts, my behavior and my appearance should reflect who I belong to. I should stand out like a foreigner who is living amongst us. I should seek to be holy and righteous and reflect your love to those around me. God, I pray for your help to live as I should. 

No comments:

Post a Comment