Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Who Is Your Lord?

Lesson #118

With this lesson we will cover the last section of chapter 6 defined by John 6:66 – 71. Jesus has been saying some very difficult things that pertain to eternal life; things like I am the living bread from heaven and you must eat my flesh and drink my blood if you are to have eternal life. He then follows that by saying “no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father” (John 6:65 ESV). After saying these things “many of his disciples turned back and no longer walked with him” (John 6:66 ESV). When the truth is clearly spoken it divides people. Those who are drawn by the Father will seek to understand and will benefit from what they hear, but those not drawn and thus not granted authority to come to Jesus will grumble and speak against the speaker and what is said and walk away. Unfortunately when people walk away from the spoken truth the speaker is tempted to water down the truth to make it less painful to hear in order to maintain or to grow congregation size. This I believe, is one of the reasons why the western church is so much like the world; it is not willing to teach and practice the whole truth.

Jesus then said to the twelve, “Do you want to go away as well?” (John 6:67 ESV). Seeing so many turning away from following Jesus might have greatly shaken the faith of the twelve disciples and so Jesus asked them if they wanted to go away as well. Jesus wants to encourage them to stay with him and not be influenced by what others are doing. Even if it comes to where we are left standing alone with Jesus, we are to stand because there is no one else who can meet our needs like he can. Peter answers, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life, and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God” (John 6:68 – 69 ESV). Peter given two reasons for staying: first, Jesus has the words of eternal life, and second, they believe he is the Holy One of God. With Jesus there is life, but apart from him there is only death.

“Jesus answered them, “Did I not choose you, the Twelve? And yet one of you is a devil.” He spoke of Judas the son of Simon Iscariot, for he, one of the Twelve, was going to betray him” (John 6:70 – 71 ESV). Jesus knew the eleven the Father was drawing to give to him and so he chose them. Jesus also knew that Judas would not believe and so he was selected knowing that in the end he would betray him. Jesus wanted the twelve to know that even one of them would eventually leave as many others already had left walking with him. Imagine having walked with Jesus for three years and experienced the very presence of God and his benefits and then in the end betray him into the hands of those who will kill him. Truly this one is to be identified as a devil. Those not drawn by the Father and left in their sin will in some degree turn against and show their hate and anger toward God.

Prayer

Father, I am overwhelmed by your love for me that would choose a sinful person like me from the orphanage of the world and adopt me as your child and give me as a gift to Jesus Christ. All the benefits I have been given convict me of how little in proportion I give back in my love and service to you. Forgive me and encourage me to be more pleasing to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment