Monday, May 11, 2015

Love – Greater Love

Lesson #51

In his sovereignty, God can choose those he wants for his sheep, but if these chosen sheep are to come to faith there must first be the death of Jesus Christ to satisfy the justice required of the law. The high priest “prophesied that Jesus was going to die for the nation, and not for the nation only, but in order that He might also gather together into one the children of God who are scattered abroad” (John 11:51 – 52 NASB).

“My sheep listen to my voice (that is how you know they are sheep), and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish; no one will snatch them from my hand” (John 10:27 – 28 NET). Each one chosen by the Father is provided with a homing instinct that directs them to the Savior. “Everyone whom the Father gives me will come to me, and the one who comes to me I will never send away” (John 6:37 NET). “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day” (John 6:44 NET). These who come have been granted permission to come. “No one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father” (John 6:65 ESV).

Each one of us is born with a sin nature and as a result “There is none righteous, not even one; There is none who understands, there is none who seeks for God; All have turned aside, together they have become useless; There is none who does good, there is not even one” (Romans 3:10 – 12 NASB). In John 3:16, “Whoever believes in him will not perish but have eternal life,” but how does one who has turned aside ever come to belief? On their own it is impossible, but with God there is a greater love than John 3:16. It is a love that chooses the unrighteous one who is not seeking God and has turned aside and takes and changes that person from the inside out. I think of hardened terrorist who enjoys killing Christians who later become Christians and are themselves killed. This is clearly God’s doing out of his great love for them. God had a great love and an assignment for Paul and took a hold of him on the way to Damascus. My Damascus Road experience came as I watched a Christian film at church one night as a teen. I knew what had to be done that night and it was done. In one instant was new birth, eternal life and belief. That night began an amazing adventure which eventually took me into full time ministry and extended time teaching Bible in China. Such a great love he has for me.

Prayer

Father, such love I don’t deserve and in spite of that love I continue to sin. How thankful I am to know that you will continue to forgive me and that I am eternally secure in your love. Thank you for the promise that you will conform me into the image of your Son.

No comments:

Post a Comment