Monday, January 23, 2017

Behold Your Son!

Lesson #318

We ended the previous lesson with the comments that we would say more about the three woman named Mary. These three woman were of great encouragement to Jesus as he hung dying on the cross above them. They were faithful to the very end. This dedication to Jesus reminds me of my time of service in China. There were several women that helped me, making ministry so much more effective. They helped me understand the culture, the language and how to be a more effective teacher in an unfamiliar culture. In many ways they made my life so much easier. I long for the day when I can again spend some time with them is heaven. I know that Jesus had a tender spot for these woman who sat with him at the cross.

Attention is now directed to Jesus as he looks at his mother: “When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, “Woman, behold, your son!” Then he said to the disciple, “Behold, your mother!” And from that hour the disciple took her to his own home” (John 19:26 – 27 ESV). In the midst of his suffering, Jesus takes time to care for his mother. Besides the three woman being there, we learn that the disciple whom he loved was also there; that would identify the disciple as being John. Jesus said to his mother, “Woman, behold, your son!” In my western culture this would show disrespect, but in that culture it would be like saying “Sir!” or “Madam!”, titles of respect. There is a consensus that Joseph is no longer living and now that Jesus will not be there to care for her, he entrusts her into the care of John, referring to him as her son. For reasons we are not told, Jesus decided it is best to entrust the care of Mary with John than his own half brothers and sisters.

Jesus had a unique relationship with Mary in that he was virgin born. Jesus had a unique relationship with John in that he was the only disciple that Scripture pointed out as being loved by Jesus. I find it interesting that Jesus brings these two together and that of the disciples, John was the only one to die a natural death.

As Jesus talked to Mary and John, I was reminded of the effect this would have on the pain Jesus felt. I have experienced several situations where I experienced severe physical pain and I learned that when I turned my focus away from the cause of the pain and focus either on prayer or conversation with someone, the pain level was much lower. People who have gone through torture have said the same thing. This is something one should understand who is about to experience physical pain from someone. 

Prayer

Father, I see such control on the part of Jesus; such love and care for his mother. I know he has that same love and care for us, but how much of it do we enjoy. Those who suffer intensely under persecution today, speak of this love and care. They speak of this in ways we don’t understand here in in the west. Father, thank you that you have given us to Jesus for safe keeping, to enjoy his love and care forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment