Monday, July 4, 2016

Not Left as Orphans

Lesson #231

We have considered the connection between love and obedience and have learned that Jesus was going to ask the Father to send us a Helper. We know that happened because later books of the New Testament testify that he did and we personally know he did because he bears witness of his presence in our lives. Jesus continues by saying, “I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you” (John 14:18 ESV). Some translations replace orphans with the words comfortless, desolate, all alone and bereaved. Orphans is a good translation because the disciples of a particular teacher among the Hebrews called him father; his scholars were called his children and on his death, they were considered as orphans. In John 13:33, Jesus referred to his disciples as little children and now that he is about to be removed from them by death, he assures them that they shall not be left fatherless, or without a teacher. He assures them that he will come to them again; that he would rise from the dead and appear to them. Then after his ascension they will receive the Holy Spirit, which will comfort them and be their advocate, teacher, and guide forever.

After being assured that they will not be left as orphans, Jesus continues to encourage the disciples by saying, “Yet a little while and the world will see me no more, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live” (John 14:19 ESV). Once Jesus is taken down from the cross and placed in the tomb the world will no longer see him, but for the disciples and other believers, that would not be the case. Jesus will rise from the dead and his resurrection will be proof and a pledge that the disciples and also for us that we will rise likewise. Jesus will live a life of intercession for us at the right hand of God and while here on earth we will live a life of grace and peace and then a life of glory hereafter.

When the disciples see Jesus after his death they will realize an important fact: “In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you” (John 14:20 ESV). After his resurrection, the disciples will be more fully convinced of this important truth, that Jesus and the Father are One, for he will live in them by his Spirit, and they shall live in him by faith, love and obedience. One of these meeting times is as follows: “On the evening of that day, the first day of the week, the doors being locked where the disciples were for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.”” (John 20:19 ESV). This was very convincing!

Prayer

Father, when I feel alone or unloved or troubled, I turn to you and by faith I see myself as a little boy sitting on your lap, being help close and told how much you love me. Father, what a beautiful experience that is; one the world knows nothing about and maybe even those who are flirting with the world don’t understand. Father, thank you for the Holy Spirit who lives within me and assures me that I am your child and that I am secure in Jesus Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment