Monday, January 25, 2016

The Sheep Know Their Shepherd

Lesson #162
With this lesson we will begin the first section of chapter 10, defined by John 10:1 - 6. There is no reason to not assume that chapter 10 is a continuation of what was being said in chapter 9. Jesus, then continues with another story: “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door but climbs in by another way, that man is a thief and a robber” (John 10:1 ESV). From this description the sheepfold would seem to be some enclosed area, maybe by a stone wall, with an opening called a door, in which the sheep are kept during the night. This sheepfold maybe near the houses of several families who share its use or an enclosure made of stones in the field where the sheep are grazing. The opening or doorway probably does not have a door, but in any case is usually guarder by a person called a gatekeeper. This gatekeeper may be a hired person or it may be the shepherd himself. The verse also describes an enemy that climbs into the sheepfold to take out one or more sheep. That person is called a thief and a robber; a thief may indicate one who comes silently and secretly and takes away while robber may indicate one who uses violence producing bloodshed (Luke 10:30, 36). “But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep” (John 10:2 ESV). It was through this doorway guarded by the gatekeeper, that the shepherd of the sheep was able to enter with his sheep or to take them out.

At the end of chapter 9, the blind man, healed by Jesus, came to understand and believe that Jesus was the Son of Man, the Messiah. Moving into chapter 10, Jesus is going to explain that he is the true shepherd that the sheep belong to. Jesus is going to explain the true relationship between him and the sheep and show that the Jews are not shepherds and probably the people following them are not true sheep. In this section Jesus is setting up the parable, from which he will draw some important truths.

“To him the gatekeeper opens. The sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out” (John 10:3 ESV). The gatekeeper would, of course, know the shepherd and would let him into the sheepfold. This sheepfold may contain sheep from several shepherds and if they do the sheep belonging to each shepherd would recognize his voice and would follow his lead to exit the sheepfold. The remaining sheep who do not recognize his voice will not follow because they know he is not their shepherd. When the shepherd walks through the opening into the sheepfold, he calls his own sheep my name and they hear him and follow him as he leads them out.

When Jesus calls his sheep, do you hear him as he calls your name? Do you expectantly and obediently following him to where he wants you to go? Is the Lord your shepherd? If so you shall lack nothing you need. As you follow him he stops at times and makes us lie down in green pastures, not in dry overgrazed pastures. When we thirst, he leads us to still waters where we can safely drink our need. As one continues to read Psalm 23, you see the many more benefits of belonging to Jesus, the one true Shepherd.

Prayer

Father, I close this lesson with the beautiful and well known Psalm of David: “The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever” (Psalm 23 ESV). Thank you that I know this Shepherd personally and as one of his sheep he knows by name. 

No comments:

Post a Comment