Friday, December 4, 2015

Where Is Your Father?

Lesson #140

With this lesson we will finish our study of the section defined by John 8:12 – 20. When Jesus makes reference to his Father who sent him, the Pharisees could remain silent no longer. “They said to him therefore, “Where is your Father?” Jesus answered, “You know neither me nor my Father. If you knew me, you would know my Father also”” (John 8:19 ESV). By now the Pharisees should know that Jesus is referring to God when he mentions the name Father, but in contempt they seem to be looking around for his father wondering where he is.

Jesus does not give a direct reply to their question, but instead reproaches them for their ignorance. They ask for the whereabouts of his Father and yet they are unable to recognize the Son of God standing before them. Because of their pride and their wicked ingratitude, they are blind to the one standing before them. Jesus stands before them as the light of the world, but as they reject him for who he is, they continue to walk in darkness and have not sight or understanding. Knowing this Jesus tells them, “You know neither me nor my Father.” Jesus then makes it very clear that they really don’t know God: If you knew me, you would know my Father also.” To know the Father, we must know the Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. This is a real problem today. Anyone who says they know God and rejects Jesus as God’s Son is deceived and does not know God and are without eternal life. If Christians were to stand strong on this Biblical truth, we would experience much more persecution in this country.

John then closes this section by describing where Jesus was speaking to the people: “These words he spoke in the treasury, as he taught in the temple; but no one arrested him, because his hour had not yet come” (John 8:20 ESV). Depending upon which commentary one looks at, one finds little or much said on the treasury. It seems to be part of the temple where the sacred offerings were laid up. It is a place where people often come and as a result Jesus may have had a good crowd to speak to. Jesus is speaking these things about him in this sacred place and no one puts forth their hand to arrest him. God is indeed in control and since the hour had not yet come those who hated Jesus were restrained from arresting him.

Prayer

Father, as I thought about my prayer for this lesson I was reminded about two fathers: “You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires.” (John 8:44 ESV) and as Jesus said, “If you knew me, you would know my Father also” (John 8:19 ESV) and would do his will. Father, thank you for adopting me from the family whose father is the devil and making me a member of your family, the family of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment