Wednesday, December 2, 2015

My Testimony Is True

Lesson #139

This lesson continues our study of the section defined by John 8:12 – 20. Jesus continues his defense to the Pharisees by saying, “You judge according to the flesh; I judge no one” (John 8:15 ESV). To “judge according to the flesh” means according to natural understanding and human standards of the world. The sinful nature of the flesh can produce wicked judgments sometimes according to the appearance of the person. Consider how you sometimes judge others, especially before you became a believer. Remember what Jesus said, “Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For by the standard you judge you will be judged, and the measure you use will be the measure you receive” (Matthew 7:1 – 2 NET). If we are in a situation where we must judge, then the standard we use to judge by is to be from the Word not the world. Jesus then said that he judges no one. What he is saying is that during his earthly ministry he did not come to judge the world, but to be its savior. Jesus will judge the world at his second coming, but not at this time.

Jesus then continues: “Yet even if I do judge, my judgment is true, for it is not I alone who judge, but I and the Father who sent me” (John 8:16 ESV). Maybe he doesn’t completely surrender his rights and does pass some judgment, but if he does he maintains that his judgment is true and that he is not alone in his judgment. Since his deity is veiled under his flesh, he doesn’t openly declare that he is the Son of God, but instead defers to referring to his Father as the second witness required by the law for a testimony to be considered.

Jesus then refers back to the law: “In your Law it is written that the testimony of two people is true” (John 8:17 ESV). Jesus agrees that the law requires two witnesses. He is not willing, at this time, to explain that he is both man and God, but instead he asserts that his testimony is from the Father, the second witness. Jesus then concludes his testimony by saying, “I am the one who bears witness about myself, and the Father who sent me bears witness about me” (John 8:18 ESV). Jesus bears witness about himself, but remember at the baptism when a voice from heaven said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased” (Matthew 3:17 ESV). Here the connection is made between Jesus and his Father. We bear witness that what I say is true.

We will wait and finish this section in the next lesson.

Prayer

Father, as I ponder over this lesson and think about how to pray, I am impressed by Jesus, who is the Son of God veiled in flesh, who defers attention from himself and directs it to his Father to whom he is in submission to. My flesh desires recognition and as a result it is a constant battle for me to live in subjection to Christ and to die to the desires of my flesh. Father, continue to break me so that I would be suitable for your service.

No comments:

Post a Comment