Wednesday, December 30, 2015

The Condemnation of Silence

Lesson #151

In our last lesson we looked at the statement Jesus made about the relationship between keeping his word and never tasting death and then the Jews response implying that to be impossible. In this lesson we will look at the response Jesus makes. “Jesus answered, “If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say, ‘He is our God.’”” (John 8:54 ESV). Here stands Jesus, the Son of God, and he wants no glory for himself because when one seeks his own glory, that glory is nothing. The glory that counts is that which comes from another. Again, we see Jesus submitting to his Father allowing him to glorify Jesus at the appropriate time. How important it is for us to see Jesus as our example and allow God to conform us into that image.

Again, Jesus points out that they do not know God whom they so presumptuously boast about as being their father and they the children of God. Anyone who boast of the name of God apart from the word of God are mere liars. Rooted in the Word, our spirit bears witness who our Father is and like with Jesus that is all that is needed. Jesus is not distracted by anything the Jews throw at him because he is at peace with his Father and that should be the same with us. If we are firmly established with God, through Jesus Christ, then we have no need to get upset over any persecution we might face. I believed this is sealed in the statement: “I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me” (Galatians 2:20 ESV). If we have been born again, then we have been crucified with Christ and then by faith he lives out his life through us. If this is true, then we can also respond as Jesus did to the Jews when we face persecution.

Jesus continues: “But you have not known him. I know him. If I were to say that I do not know him, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and I keep his word” (John 8:55 ESV). Jesus must speak out because silence would be a denial of the truth. Through Jesus, God reveals himself to us and it is through us that we are to reveal Jesus to others. To remain silent, which is a growing tendency in the western church, we are denying the truth that we are God’s children. When a person worships the idols of comfort and safety, as so many western Christians do, it follows that one would remain silent. It is very possible that this silence is evidence that we are not his children after all.

Prayer

Father, this lesson speaks to two major problems facing believers, especially in the west: seeking glory for self and remaining silent when we should be a witness. Father, I know you have been busy over the years reducing my pride to a state of brokenness. It has been a painful process, but the outcome is truly a blessing. Father, you know the hurt I experienced long ago in witnessing and the struggle to again have an effective witness. Thanks for the healing and guidance to a more productive witness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment