Monday, November 21, 2016

To Know and to Love God (John 17:24-26)

Lesson #291

Jesus continues to pray, saying: “Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world” (John 17:24 ESV). Justice demands that every person physically born must die an eternal death in hell, but mercy can be extended to those God wills because Jesus was able and willing to die for these sheep (John 10:11). These Jesus died for, the Father gives to him as a gift and Jesus then gives each eternal life.

Jesus is looking forward to when all the sheep will be with him in heaven, but now he is praying for those yet to come to salvation. Jesus desires so much that they be able to behold his glory and enjoy it in bodies that are also filled with his glory. The Father loved his Son from eternity past and desired to express this love by selecting a bride for him from out of the world, preparing that bride and giving her to Jesus. What a scene of beauty and love we see here and to think it includes you and I as believers.

Jesus continues to pray for those who the Father has given to him: “O righteous Father, even though the world does not know you, I know you, and these know that you have sent me” (John 17:25 ESV). Jesus admits that the world does not know the Father because it does not know or accept Jesus for who he is. Again Jesus confesses that he knows the Father because he has been with him for an eternity past and he confesses that we know that Jesus was sent by the Father to purchase our salvation.

Jesus then concludes his prayer with: “I made known to them your name, and I will continue to make it known, that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them” (John 17:26 ESV). While on earth, Jesus declared the Father to his disciples and to others and he makes the promise that while in heaven he will continue through the Spirit to proclaim the Fathers name that we would know the One True God. Again he asks for the Father’s love to be in them. God is love and as God in the Spirit dwells in us, that love in is us. Jesus then concludes with that great concept of “Christ in us the hope of glory!” How desperately we in the western church need to experience that hope to draw us away from friendship with the world.

Prayer

Father, as we come to the end of another great chapter, I want to pray again for my readers and myself. The growing number of readers humbles me and emphasize the opportunity and responsibility I have with the Lord and the Spirit to provide lessons to think about and to learn from. I pray for the mind of the Lord and the help of the Spirit for me in writing these lessons and then for the Spirit to draw more readers to come and be touched by the word of God. I pray for the needs and trials being experienced by my readers. I pray for God to encourage, provide endurance and steadfastness in their walk. Father, bless them and fill their hearts with your love and kindness of your grace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment