Monday, November 7, 2016

Are We In or Of?

Lesson #285

We finally finished John 17:15 in which we discussed why Jesus prayed that we be kept in the world after being born again and while in the world we be kept from the evil one. We will next look at what our relationship with the world is to be like. Jesus continues his prayer with: “They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world” (John 17:16 ESV). This is a repeat of the last half of verse 14, which in looking back I see that I failed to cover it so we should do that in this lesson. Let us look at some related verses that might help us.

In James 4:4 we learn that “anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.” Who we chose as friends is important to God. That does not mean we do not associate with people of the world; we do but we set guidelines as to who we associate with and our purpose for those associations.

In 1 John 2:15 (NLT) we are told: “Do not love this world nor the things it offers you, for when you love the world, you do not have the love of the Father in you.” You can evaluate your love by comparing your attraction to the things the world offers with your desire for the things God offers. Which do you prefer to spend time with; things seen or things unseen?

In Romans 12:2 (NLT) we are told to consider our thinking: “Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.” It is important to consider what we are feeding our minds with. Is it the behavior and customs of the world or is it what Paul tells us to think about in Philippians 4:8 (NLT)? “And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.” What is the measure of the quality of your thinking?

Think of being “In” the world as your point of location. During the time I spent ministering in China, that was my location, but not my identity. I was a US citizen living in China according to their laws and customs as long as they did not interfere with my heavenly citizenship. I was there to influence people for Jesus, not to be influenced by their unchristian customs and beliefs. I was there as an ambassador to look out for God’s interest not my own.

Think of being “Of” the world as your source of information. Is that information from the world affecting the way I think and believe? When I was in China I learned many things about their culture, but I did not let it affect my thinking, behavior and beliefs in a negative way. I used that information to help me understand them and learn how to best relate to them with God’s message to them.

Being “in” the world specifies your location and being “of” the world implies that you are receiving information from it and making it part of your life in ways that hinder your assignment as a representative of God there on assignment. We are to be more concerned about the information we receive from the world than we are of being located there.

Prayer

Father, sometimes you ask us to locate in dangerous places. I had to carefully consider your call for me when you sent me into the underground school system in China. The information I received I could use to help mold my thinking on how to impact people in that country for Jesus Christ. Father, I am a much different person today than I would have been had I not been placed there and learn what I did. Because of continued relationships, I know I had an effect on people there for Christ. What a blessing to be “in” China, but while there to not be “of” China. 

No comments:

Post a Comment