Friday, May 6, 2016

There Is Life in His Words

Lesson #206

With this lesson we come to the end of chapter 12 and the final two verses: “For I have not spoken on my own authority, but the Father who sent me has himself given me a commandment—what to say and what to speak. And I know that his commandment is eternal life. What I say, therefore, I say as the Father has told me” (John 12:49 – 50 ESV). Again Jesus makes it clear that he is not speaking from his authority, but from the authority of his Father. This would indicate that supreme authority in the Trinity belongs to the Father, with delegated authority to the Son, even though they are equal in deity. In a similar fashion the authors and the prophets of the Bible received input from God and then through their humanity and culture spoke and wrote. With three persons of equal deity making up the Trinity, there has to be one with supreme authority, which is the Father, with the rest being in subjection. That which the Father gives to the Son comes with the authority and importance of a commandment. It is something we must take time to hear, understand and obey, because what is said or written will form judgment against us later.

The importance of these words can be seen in the following: “Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him” (John 3:36 ESV); “These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life” (1 John 5:12 – 13 NASB). To reject the words of Jesus is to reject and insult the Father. His words spoken through Jesus are no less important that the words spoken on Sinai. The oneness of the Trinity in this is amazing. The Logos came to earth in the form of flesh in the person of Jesus. The Father speaks with supreme authority the words of life through the Logos and only through the work of the Spirit are people able to understand.

Through twelve chapters we have witnessed the public ministry of Jesus. The Logos found adequate utterance through the human life and lips of Jesus and as a result the Father has be amply revealed so that the one who hears and does not keep what was spoken has turned away from life to remain spiritually dead and on eternal judgment. Back in John 8:28, Jesus said, “When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am he, and that I do nothing on my own authority, but speak just as the Father taught me” (ESV). There is still time to believe what was said, but once death comes to a person, that person will then see and understand, but it will be too late then because salvation is based on faith, not on sight. The demons validate that conclusion. They saw and knew who Jesus was, but like the unbeliever after death, faith is then no longer a factor.

Prayer

Father, it has been a wonderful journey with Jesus through these twelve chapters. For me they have been life changing as I am not the same person that I was when we started one year ago. I pray that this is also true of those who faithfully followed the study. It is with great anticipation that I look ahead to a greater depth of teaching as Jesus spends time with the disciples before his coming trial. I pray that the next year of study will be empowered by the Spirit as we sit at the feet of Jesus and learn.

P.S. Invite a friend to join us as we start chapter 13 next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment