Monday, May 16, 2016

The Importance of Humility

Lesson #210

Speaking from experience, I found it to be humbling to have someone wash my feet and I believe Peter felt the same way and offered some resistance. In my case, in that underground school, I knew that washing my feet was their way of humbling themselves before me and in so doing they were honoring me for my willingness to become like one of them and humbly teach them from the Word. While I was there a special bond formed between us and when I learned they were taken into custody and the school closed, my heart really ached for them.

When Peter resisted, “Jesus answered him, “What I am doing you do not understand now, but afterward you will understand.”” (John 13:7 ESV). Jesus knew Peter was terribly uncomfortable with this. He knew Peter was thinking, “How could one claims to be the Son of God, the coming Messiah, and possibly stoop to the level of a slave and wash my dirty feet?” Jesus perceiving this, confirmed that Peter did not understand this act of humility and assured him that at a future time he would. Jesus knew the disciples needed to learn the importance of humility and the best way to teach that was by example. We can teach someone how to live, but the best way is to back up that teaching by actually living it out as an example. That was the method Jesus often used.

But Peter was not yielding: “Peter said to him, “You shall never wash my feet.” Jesus answered him, “If I do not wash you, you have no share with me.”” (John 13:8 ESV). In resisting Jesus, Peter was respecting his authority by showing his deepest reverence for him, but it was an improper response at this time. Like in other examples, Jesus often had a spiritual lesson to teach, which was the case here; something that related to the salvation of Peter. He needed to learn the importance of submitting to Jesus; the importance of humility because that was necessary when coming to Jesus for salvation. Jesus was using this act of foot washing to symbolize the washing away of our sins, which would be provided through his death on the cross. This washing away of our sin through his death was a necessary requirement for our forgiveness.

It appears that Peter understood the Lord’s meaning and saw that this was illustrative of a spiritual cleansing and desired to be completely washed: “Simon Peter said to him, “Lord, not my feet only but also my hands and my head!”” (John 13:9 ESV). Peter began to realize that something important was taking place, but I think he is focused on the wrong thing. There are two things in view here: humility and washing. Peter had to first lay aside his pride to allow Jesus to wash his feet, but now Peter is focused on the washing as most important. His thinking is, if washing my feet connects me to Jesus then washing all of me might provide additional benefit. I am not sure Peter has made the connection between washing the feet and the need of the soul being washed from sin. Peter will one day realize that we come to Jesus in humility and then through his blood by his death on the cross, we are cleansed from our sin. “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9 ESV). Now Jesus is washing the disciple’s feet, but later he will cleanse their souls from all unrighteousness. As before, Jesus uses a physical example to help understand a spiritual application.

Prayer

Father, my experience has proven to me the importance of keeping the soul cleansed from sin. I think of how often I wash my hands to enhance healthy living, so, likewise I need to confess often my sin to maintain healthy spiritual living. Father, I try to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit, to know when I have sinned so I can confess my sin and seek your help in minimizing future occurrences. Thank you that I am no longer a slave to sin and by living out Galatians 2:20: “I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” I am enjoying a growing relationship with you and Jesus Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment