Friday, September 25, 2015

Some Cannot Believe

Lesson #110

In this lesson we will look at the fifth and last passage that relate to John 6:44: “Though he had done so many signs before them, they still did not believe in him, so that the word spoken by the prophet Isaiah might be fulfilled:

“Lord, who has believed what he heard from us, and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?”

Therefore they could not believe. For again Isaiah said,

“He has blinded their eyes and hardened their heart, lest they see with their eyes, and understand with their heart, and turn, and I would heal them.” (John 12:37 – 40 ESV).

One cannot say that God draws everyone because for some “He has blinded their eyes and hardened their heart, lest they see with their eyes, and understand with their heart, and turn, and I would heal them.” These people “could not believe” because God did not draw them; he has given up on them and the result is a hardening of their hearts. This describes most of Israel today and is described by Paul as a mystery: “For I do not want you, brethren, to be uninformed of this mystery—so that you will not be wise in your own estimation—that a partial hardening has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in” (Romans 11:25 NASB).

As I study this it is clear to me that those who come to Jesus are the ones drawn by the Father, which none deserve. It is a gift of the grace of God. Those who do not come to Jesus were not drawn by the Father but left in their rebellion against God, which we all deserve. Do not be concerned about which group you are in. Each of us has the responsibility to come to Jesus. Have you responded yet?

Prayer

Father, thank you for what I have learned from preparing these lessons. This verse by verse study has forced me to consider all that is presented in logical context. This is how I can obtain a most accurate understanding. I would never consider picking up a good book and reading a paragraph here and one there through the book. If I did I would not have a very clear picture of what the author was saying in writing the book. This is my objection to most preaching today. It leaves out important parts of the story and allows for false conclusions. Father, thank you for your guidance in my study.

No comments:

Post a Comment